Lookout Ridge Retirement Home Commitment
Lookout Ridge is committed to meeting its current and ongoing obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code respecting non-discrimination.
Lookout Ridge is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for our residents, employees, volunteers/students, customers, job applicants, suppliers, visitors, and other stakeholders who enter our premises, access our information, or use our transportation services. As an organization, we respect, uphold and comply with the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), the Ontario Human Rights Code, Customer Service Standard, and the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation for Information and Communications, Employment, and Transportation, and eventually, for the Design of Public Spaces. Lookout Ridge is committed to properly assessing and accommodating the needs that may arise in our retirement community.
Lookout Ridge realizes that providing accessible and barrier-free environments for everyone is a shared effort. As a community, all businesses and services must work together to make accessibility happen. For more detailed information on our accessibility policies, plans, and training programs, please contact the Human Resources Manager.
In accordance with the IASR, Lookout Ridge is committed to accommodating employees with the following:
Lookout Ridge permits the use of personal assistive devices while on Lookout Ridge premises.
Service Animals and Support Persons
Lookout Ridge welcomes the support persons and service animals in its premises for those whose disability requires the assistance.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
Lookout Ridge will ensure to communicate appropriately with those with disabilities in the event of a planned or unplanned disruption to services of facilities (including fire drill, emergency evacuation, etc.). The communication will be provided in accessible formats and posted in public areas.
Recruitment, Assessment and Selection
Lookout Ridge must notify employees and the public about the availability of accommodation, including materials or processes, for job applicants who have disabilities. Applicants must be informed that these accommodations are available, upon request, for the interview process and other candidate selection methods. Lookout Ridge must notify the successful applicant of their policies and supports for accommodating people with disabilities during the training period.
If a selected applicant requests an accommodation, Lookout Ridge will consult with the applicant and provide, or arrange for the provision of, a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs due to their disability.
Scope of Work/Job Requirements
Lookout Ridge will consider and make accommodations to the task and job functions.
Lookout Ridge will create an Individual Accessibility Plan with the employee, which will outline the tasks, job functions, accommodations and strategies, to successfully accommodate actions needed for accommodation and any other applicable information, in order for Lookout Ridge to ensure the employee’s job is accessible. Lookout Ridge will review the plan with the employee on an ongoing basis to ensure the employee is set up for success.
Informing Employees of Supports
Lookout Ridge will continue to inform its employees of its policies, and of any change to its policies, which are used to support employees with disabilities, including policies on the provision of job accommodations that take into account accessibility needs. This information will be provided to new employees during the training period and whenever there are new changes to existing policies.
Accessible Formats and Communication Supports for Employees
Lookout Ridge will consult with an employee with a disability in order to provide, or arrange for the provision of, accessible formats and communication supports for information that is needed to perform the employee’s job and for information that is generally available to other employees in the workplace. Lookout Ridge will consult with the employee to determine the suitability of an accessible format or communication support.
Lookout Ridge will provide accessible customer service training to:
- all employees and volunteers
- anyone involved in developing our policiesStaff will be trained on accessible customer service as soon as possible after being hired. Training will include:
- purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- Lookout Ridge policies related to the customer service standard
- how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- types of barriers that exist for people with disabilities
- how to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require theassistance of a service animal or a support person
- designs of public spaces including accessible parking, service in public spaces, and maintenance
- how to use the equipment or devices available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities
- what to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing Lookout Ridge
Retirement Community’s goods, services or facilities Training will be provided as legislation is updated or amended. Redeployment
Lookout Ridge will take into account any accommodations and accessibility needs of employees with disabilities and what they will require if they are redeployed or transferred to another job or department, in addition to any individual accommodation plans. Lookout Ridge will work with the employee to determine whether similar accommodations or new accommodations will be needed or if the employee many no longer need certain accommodations.
Employees requiring accommodation or assistance for any program, duty or services are to contact Lookout Ridge Human Resources by phone or email (contact provided below).
Lookout Ridge always welcomes and requests feedback from all employees, volunteers and residents regarding the effectiveness of the accessibility initiatives. This can be provided by email, mail, phone, and fax to the Human Resources contact below.
Workplace Emergency Response Information
Lookout Ridge will provide individualized workplace emergency response information to employees with disabilities and to persons designated by Lookout Ridge Retirement Communities to provide emergency assistance to such employees, where required. The individualized workplace emergency response information must be provided, and will be reviewed, as soon as practicable after the employer becomes aware of the need for accommodation due to the employee’s disability. Lookout Ridge will review the individualized workplace emergency response plan when a disabled employee moves to a different location in the organization, their accommodation needs or plans are reviewed, and/or the employer reviews its general emergency response policies.
Documented Individual Accommodation Plan
Lookout Ridge will maintain a written process for the development of documented individual accommodation plans for employees with disabilities.
Lookout Ridge will include the following elements in the development of documented individual accommodation plans:
- the manner in which an employee requesting accommodation can participate in thedevelopment of the individual accommodation plan
- the means by which the employee is assessed on an individual basis
- the manner in which the employer can request an evaluation by an outside medical or other expert, at the employer’s expense, to determine if and how accommodation can be achieved
- the steps taken to protect the privacy of the employee’s personal information
- the frequency with which the individual accommodation plan will be reviewed and updated and the manner in which it will be done
- if an individual accommodation plan is denied, the manner in which the reasons for the denial will be provided to the employee
- the means of providing the individual accommodation plan in a format that considers the employee’s accessibility needs due to disability.If requested, Lookout Ridge will ensure that individual accommodation plans will:
- include any information regarding accessible formats and communications supports provided
- if required, include individualized workplace emergency response information
- identify any other accommodation that is to be provided.Performance Management
Lookout Ridge considers the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities in addition to individual accommodation plans regarding ongoing employee performance management.
Career Development and Advancement
Lookout Ridge considers the accessibility needs of your employees with disabilities, as well as any individual accommodation plans regarding career development and advancement of employees.
If you have any questions or concerns about this policy or its related procedures, please contact:
- Anna Oakes, Human Resources Manager
- T: 905-708-6665
- F: 905-892-9488
- 1505 Lookout Street, Fonthill, ON L0S 1E5
Modifications to This or Other PoliciesLookout Ridge is dedicated to ensuring all policies and procedures respect the rights and dignity of all individuals with disabilities. This policy and its related procedures will be reviewed as required in the event of legislative changes.